Iron Maiden’s gonna get you
Yes. Iron Maiden shall get you, no matter where you are. 😈
If you have just crawled out from under a rock, or are one of those who think Justin Timberlake is a rock star 🙄 Then Know that Iron Maiden is a Metal God. One of the most influential and successful Heavy Metal bands in history, Iron Maiden have contributed to the rise of Heavy Metal in a way that very few can match. Part of the NWOBHM, Iron Maiden have gone on to become one of the Ubergroups of Metal and Rock.
Why this sudden outpouring of praise? No reason, Just that since the Honours papers are over, I have been blowing my eardrums out by listening to Iron Maiden and Dloading their songs.
Iron Maiden’s songs are not your typical Sex, Drugs and Rock’n’Roll songs. They take their history and literature seriously. I mean, Just look at some of the themes that their songs deal with…
- The Iron Maiden ( a 17th century torture device)
- The Phantom of the Opera (A gothic novel)
- The Prodigal Son (The New Testament guy)
- Murders in the Rue Morgue (An Edgar Allen Poe story)
- Hallowed be thy name (dealing with the feelings of a man about to be executed)
- Number of the beast (Against Satanic Rituals)
- The Flight of Icarus (From Greek Mythology)
- The Trooper (about the Battle of Balaclava in 1854 during the Crimean War)
- Quest for fire ( based on mankind’s discovery of fire)
- Where Eagles dare ( Based on the Clint Eastwood movie)
- 2 Minutes to midnight (based on the Doomsday clock)
- The Duellists (Bruce Dickinson is a fencer)
- Alexander the great (based on the great conqueror)
- Fear of the dark (supposed to be based on Steve Harris’s fear of the dark as a child)
and of course…
Rime of the ancient mariner. The entire poem told in a 14 minutes heavy metal song. Head-banging poetry. So cool, I love it. Harris managed to get the poem into a heavy metal song.
Of course, All of Iron Maiden’s songs have some theme or other, These are just some of the songs I’ve heard or have. Not an extensive list I know.
And it’s not just the themes…the innovative riffs, beautiful guitar solos, the structuring of the songs, I could go on and on.
Of these my Faves are Rime of the Ancient Mariner, Hallowed be thy name and Number of the beast.
Could someone get me Iron Maiden’s song “Iron Maiden” from their album “Iron Maiden”? I can’t find it anywhere except on sites which only let me listen to it, not DLoad it. 😥
PS: Anyone who disagrees with my opinion of Iron Maiden shall be eaten alive by me. You have been warned.
PPS: If you don’t know about the themes in the song, use Wikipedia.